One of our newest ambassador, Michelangelo Paci, did a superb job at promoting Tampere in his recent visit to his old university in Cesena, Italy. He visited the University of Bologna’s School of Engineering and Architecture - Cesena campus, where he previously did his Biomedical and Computer Engineering degree.
Michelangelo’s purpose for his visit last 11-15 July 2016 was to work on a running collaboration with Prof. Stefano Severi. However, he did not think twice in exploiting this chance to promote the city of Tampere and the Tampere University of Technology (TUT) - BioMediTech department to some of his former professors in Biomedical Engineering, as well as to deliver to them some Tampere region promotional materials.
Highlights of Michelangelo’s promotional activities were:
- He presented Tampere not only as a place to study, but also as a place to do research and to visit.
- He successfully did some recruiting for exchange and PhD students. Dario Cori (pictured below) has decided to come to TUT to do his Master's thesis on the computational modeling of cardiac cells derived from human stem cells. Such cells are currently a very hot topic at the TUT/BioMediTech department.
- He explained the TUT's PhD program to Eng. Claudia Perazzini (pictured below)
- He also promoted the European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC) and the Nordic-Baltic Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics (NBC) EMBEC & NBC 2017, two long running conferences that are now combined for the first time and will be held in Tampere in 11-15 June 2017.
- He also left some promotional materials and his contact information to the Biomedical Engineering Professors, in particular to Prof. Stefano Severi and Prof. Emanuele Giordano, so that they know who to contact should more students later on get interested to come to Tampere for an exchange program, to do their thesis or their PhDs.
Here are some photos from Michelangelo’s visit.
Kudos Michelangelo on your active initiative in promoting Tampere in your old university!