Want to support young international talents in their first career steps and to gain new skills and networks at the same time? A great opportunity for all that and a lot more is available again as a new round for Talent Tampere Mentoring Programme is starting next autumn! Application period is open until the end of September.
Are you looking to:develop your intercultural communication skills
- familiarize yourself with principles of coaching
- strengthen your teamwork skills
- expand your network of professional contacts through other mentors and mentees
- share your thoughts and experiences with motivated students and graduates in your field
- pave the way for further internationalization within your organization
- connect with potential future employees and talented young, international professionals
If you found these outcomes interesting then mentoring is for you! On top of all you will have an unforgettable experience.
We are looking for mentors who are:
- professionals in their own field
- interested in different countries and intercultural communication
- working in the private or public sector
- fluent in English
- working in the Tampere region
Please apply by filling in the on-line form. Organizers wish to get the applications by the end of September. By mid-October the pairs will be matched and applicants will be contacted.
Mentoring offers an easy way to develop intercultural competencies and the expertise needed when operating in an international environment. The free-of-charge mentoring programme gives mentors the opportunity to build contacts and develop mentoring skills through practical experience. The mentors will be paired up with international degree students from the local higher education institutions or with skilled immigrants who are in the early stages of their careers in Finland.
Mentoring programme aims to improve mentees’ job hunting skills, introduce them to the nuances of Finnish work culture, help them expand their professional networks, and enable them to share their international experiences with the mentors. Mentoring is a process whereby experienced professionals impart their knowledge and skills to aspiring young adults at the beginning of their careers. Mentors are under no obligation to hire their mentees. Mentoring is a two-way relationship that benefits mentors and their organizations in a number of ways!
The mentees taking part in the programme are
- international students who are pursuing a degree at Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Tampere University of Technology or the University of Tampere and are interested in building a career in Finland after graduation; or
- other international skilled talents who are in the early stages of their careers and are looking to build a career in Finland and Pirkanmaa.
In 2017-2018 there is a mentoring programme which is organized in a regional collaboration with the higher education institutions in Tampere as part of The Talent Tampere network. The coordinating party in 2017-2018 programme is Tampere University of Technology (TUT). Mentoring Programme 2017-2018 will start in November 2017.
The mentoring programme is conducted in English. The mentors are paired up with mentees and they meet face-to-face about five times. Each session lasts 1.5–2 hours. There is also four group sessions for all the mentors and mentees.
- An Orientation for Mentors on Mon 6 November (at 17:00-20:00)
Group meetings for mentees and mentors:
- Kick-Off Meeting on Mon 13 November (at 17:00-20:00)
- Mid-Programme Meeting on Mon 29 January (at 17:00-20:00)
- Wrap-up Meeting on Mon 23 April (at 17:00-20:00)
Location for all group meetings: Talent Space, Finlayson, address: Satakunnankatu 18A.
Tampere Chamber of Commerce and Industry encourages all the members of the council’s committees to get involved in the Talent Tampere mentoring programmes!
If you have any questions related to the mentoring programmes, we are happy to help you!
Kaisa Niskanen, Career Specialist, Tampere University of Technology, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 50 300 5964.
Terhi Kipinä, Planning Officer, Tampere University of Technology, email:email@example.com, tel. +358 50 3015017.
The first mentoring programme was implemented already in 2010-2011 by WorkPlace Pirkanmaa project and mentoring programme is was then established as a permanent activity of Unipoli Tampere (a higher education co-operation network of Polamk, TAMK, TUT and UTA). The concept of this mentoring programme has gained nationwide popularity and has been used as a benchmark by other universities around Finland.