Talent Tampere organizes an annual mentoring programme for international talents and experienced professionals in Tampere. Mentoring programme aims to support the professional development of international talents and enable them to share their international experiences with the mentors. The next Mentoring Programme is starting in November 2017!
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a process whereby experienced professionals impart their knowledge and skills to mentees at the beginning of their careers. The mentors are all professionals in their own fields of specialty and work in the Tampere region. Becoming a mentee is a voluntary arrangement and the parties receive no financial compensation.
As a mentee you will:
- have the opportunity to learn from a professionally experienced person and pair up with an interesting discussion partner to talk about careers and working life
- have the chance to develop your job hunting skills with a personal mentor and be able to create new networks and contacts
- have the chance to develop your intercultural communication skills
- gain support and coaching for the mentoring process
What does the mentoring programme include?
- 4 group meetings, including an orientation
- Approximately 5 pair meetings during a five-month period (November 2017 - April 2018) – the mentor and mentee are free to agree on the schedule and the precise number of the meetings
- Keeping a learning diary throughout the process
- Talent Tampere Mentoring Pack 2017-2018 that includes guidelines for each pair meeting, homework for the mentee and general information on the mentoring process, the development of intercultural competence and job hunting in Finland
- Certificate of participation of the programme
Me as a mentee?
You are welcome to apply for the mentoring programmes if you are an international talent living / staying in Tampere region. If you are studying at TAMK, TUT or UTA, you should be in the final state of your degree studies and about to graduate in a year or so. You should be fluent in English and interested in intercultural communication and keen to share your thoughts and reflect on career and employment issues with others. Most of all though you should be interested in finding a job and a career in Finland.
We are looking for committed and highly motivated applicants who will commit to the meetings and the whole durations of the mentoring programme!
Schedule in 2017-2018
In 2017-2018 there will be a mentoring programme which is jointly organized by the higher education institutions of Tampere as part of the Talent Tampere network. Coordinating party in 2017-2018 is Tampere University of Technology (TUT). The mentoring programme will be conducted in English. The programme starts in November 2017.
An Orientation for Mentees on Wed 8 November (at 17:00-19:00)
- Location: Tampere University of Technology, Main building, Room PC110. Address: Korkeakoulunkatu 10, detailed instructions are provided later.
Joint group meetings for mentees and mentors:
- Kick-Off Meeting on Mon 13 November (at 17:00-20:00)
- Mid-Programme Meeting on Mon 29 January (at 17:00-20:00)
Wrap-up Meeting on Mon 23 April (at 17:00-20:00)
- Location for all joint group meetings: Talent Space, Finlayson, address: Satakunnankatu 18A.
Application period is on!
Please fill in the on-line application form. Application period is open until 17 September. All the applicants will be contacted by mid-October.
If you have any questions related to the mentoring programme, we are happy to help you!
Kaisa Niskanen, Career Specialist, Tampere University of Technology, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 50 300 5964.
Terhi Kipinä, Planning Officer, Tampere University of Technology, email:email@example.com, tel. +358 50 3015017.
Ps. If you were not admitted to a programme...
Please keep in mind that it did not necessarily mean that your application was not good enough! We receive nearly a 100 mentee applications each year and regretfully only limited number of mentees will be admitted per programme. The most common reason for the rejection of a mentee application is that this year there were no suitable mentors available just for you and/or your motivation or commitment was not expressed clear enough in the application form. Better luck next year!
The first programme was implemented already in 2010-2011 by WorkPlace Pirkanmaa project and mentoring programme is now established as a permanent activity of Talent Tampere and higher education institutions of Tampere. The concept of this mentoring programme has gained nationwide popularity and has been used as a benchmark by other universities around Finland.